What Council (or other) fees will I need to pay?

ConstructAid LinksAnswer:  In most cases, a Building Regulation fee is payable. The exact Building Regulation fee varies as each Authority set their own Building Regulation fees. Further advice can be obtained from ConstructAid. On submission of the plans to the local authority, a Building Regulation initial fee is payable, called the “plan fee”. On commencement of the work, the Council will then invoice you directly for what is called the “inspection fee”, which is usually three times the amount of the original plan fee, except some minor works where the whole fee is payable on submission of the plans. In the case of Planning, if full Planning Permission is required, the Planning fee charged is currently £172 and a Lawful Development Certificate fee is £86 However, higher fees are charged for new builds and commercial developments, details are available on request.

ConstructAid can usually prepare the structural calculations and fees quoted usually include these. In rare cases, should complex structural calculations be required, e.g. specialist foundation design, we may need to instruct a Structural Engineer. In such cases, you would be responsible for their fee. We would advise if this applies to you and discuss your options.

For larger developments, the Council may occasionally ask for additional drawings, i.e. street scene view. We would have to make an additional charge for such drawings, details on request.

New builds may also require additional drawings of plans for such matters as site layout plans and SAP Rating calculations. These can be provided by ConstructAid – telephone 01708-228684 or Email us via our Contact Us page. If applicable, our fees can be quoted for these on an individual basis.